Tuesday, July 21, 2009

breakup mix, or, the metaphysics of affection

I saw Harold and Maude tonight in Bryant Park (outdoor summer film series - yay!). Within minutes I knew this would be my new favorite movie. I'm not ready to write about it yet though; I'm still digesting.

I was thinking about how many people told me (after their initial shock that I hadn't yet seen it - blah) that Harold and Maude is the greatest love story of our time. Setting aside a minor technicality (that the story in question came, in fact, before "our time"), I have to agree. This got me thinking about how I am not currently involved in any great love story, which got me thinking about the end of love. My favorite movie about the end of love is Annie Hall, which I may never be ready to write about because I feel too close to it. The last scene, and the last line about needing the eggs ... Woody Allen, you were such a genius, what happened to you?

ANYway, now I'm thinking about the end of love, and how rarely it is celebrated. So in the spirit of the end of love, I present to you my breakup mix in its latest incarnation. This is not an exhaustive list of every good song you can listen to about breaking up; it is just the mix that I liked during my last. Track order matters.

NB: My philosophy is that love never ends, but that feelings transition from one object to another and/or from one form to another. By form I mean love in every sense: agape, eros, philia, storge, even thelema. For example, in Annie Hall, Alvie and Annie transition from eros to philia. Thus the shift in tone at the end of the mix signifies a shift in the form of love and (potentially at least) the object of love. The object bit may make more sense after I post on Mark Epstein and the nature of desire.

Enjoy.

***

High on Seven - The Redbirds

Breaking It Up – Lykke Li

Bleeding Love – Leona Lewis

What Hurts the Most – Rascal Flatts

Sentimental Heart - She & Him

Bruises – Chairlift

Marching Bands of Manhattan – Death Cab for Cutie

Little Motel - Modest Mouse

California Stars – Billy Bragg & Wilco

Stupid Memory – Sondre Lerche

Tiger Phone Card – Dengue Fever

Breathless – Dan Wilson

Who Loves the Sun - Velvet Underground

Better in Time – Leona Lewis

Fidelity – Regina Spektor

I Don’t Know – Lisa Hannigan

***

I'm not even going to apologize for the country music and other guilty pleasures. This is a breakup mix, so a certain amount of cheese aids the healing: it keeps you aware of how hung up you are on something that, really, is not the worst thing to happen in life. Also, I know California Stars and Tiger Phone Card are not technically breakup songs, but they bring up specific memories from that relationship, so they belong.

Also, yes, Leona Lewis is on twice. Just don't tell Rob Gordon.

No comments:

Post a Comment