Tuesday, July 21, 2009

something to tide you over -or- a different breakup mix from a different breakup

I'm still not ready to write up Mark Epstein's Open to Desire. There's a lot to unpack there and I want to be concise.

In the meanwhile, this is the breakup mix from the breakup before the last one I posted. Is there a word for song choice like there is for word choice (aka diction)? Maybe someday I will post a more upbeat mix.

***

Love is Only a Feeling – The Darkness

It Takes One to Know One - The Donnas

A Million Ways – ok go

Not Ready to Make Nice – Dixie Chicks

Nothing Better – The Postal Service

ObsesiĆ³n - Aventura

Good Woman – Cat Power

Littlest Things – Lily Allen

Comfortable - John Mayer

Better in Time – Leona Lewis

Young Folks – Peter Bjorn and John

***

There's Leona Lewis again. I should really send her a mini-muffin basket or something. I can tell I'm getting over it when I start tacking on songs about a new guy. [Spoiler Alert!] We all know what happened with the PB&J guy though. Do you think Peter Bjorn and John know that their names abbreviate to a delicious sandwich? Wow and that guy and I first bonded over sandwiches. That literally just occurred to me now. If I believed in god(s), I would probably attribute some significance to that. Fortunately I have the freedom to recognize it as the blind coincidence it is.

Oh, in case you are wondering about the guy from this breakup mix: we had a long, drawn out, multi-episode breakup. We are entering philia now though. I think we are past the ending of Annie Hall at least. Either way, I wouldn't trust anyone else to proofread my writing (my scholarly writing).

At any rate, George Jones' The Race is On is a phenomenal song for getting the eff over yourself. I'm just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment